It has been a long, hard road recovering from bipolar and borderline personality disorder. From my diagnosis of bipolar 1 disorder in 2017, I find that having affirmations helps to rewire my brain into a healthier place.
The word affirmation comes from the Latin verb affirmare, meaning “to make steady, strengthen.” Through saying these affirmations aloud, they help me believe the potential of the action I desire to manifest.
Repeat Affirmations Daily
Through repeating the affirmations daily, I slowly believed in myself that I could change my future. I could make my tomorrows different from my yesterdays. I could change my today.
I remember that when I was suicidal, I would whisper to myself, “I matter,” and “I am meant to live.”
There were many times when I felt like I was extraneous and not needed in the world. It coincided with moments that I would feel hopeless. I would tell myself, “I am needed and I can do it.”
When I was getting too perfectionistic and lashing out at myself for not being enough and for not doing enough, I would say, “It’s okay to make mistakes and learn from them.”
My personal favorite is, “Every day, I am getting better and better.” I honestly believe that I am getting better from my disorders and am healing my life.
Many trauma survivors (myself included) intrinsically believe that they are bad. I believed that I was a bad person and didn’t deserve all the good things that was happening in my life, like having a job and a family who loved me. That’s why saying, “I am good,” is so important.
There would also be moments when I would be impatient with the healing journey. I didn’t know all the answers right away. I had a therapy session when I realized that I didn’t know if I wanted to go back to full-time work, at least in the traditional sense. Leaving the house in the morning, going to a job, and coming back at night. It left me in tears. But that’s why I tell myself daily, “It’s okay to not know the answer right now. It’s a process.”
Here are my top 23 affirmations I tell myself daily to heal myself. Feel free to drop a comment and let me know what your top affirmation is!
- Every day, I am getting better and better.
- I am needed and I can do it.
- It’s okay to not know the answer right now. It’s a process.
- It’s okay to make mistakes.
- It’s okay to make mistakes and learn from them.
- Even though I am so afraid and am feeling so much fear, I also feel love and am loved.
- Everything will be okay.
- Being in my core self is an act of self-love.
- I am good.
- I am held.
- I am loved.
- I love you so much (to yourself).
- I am learning to love unconditionally.
- I can heal.
- I am meant to live.
- Take it easy on yourself.
- I am worthy of being peaceful.
- I love my body.
- Healing is a process.
- We are all in this together.
- I matter.
- It’s okay to experience and enjoy pleasure.
- It is okay to be broken because the light can get in.
If you liked this blog post, please pin it!